At Plunkett & Chaw Dental, we perform a variety of routine dental procedures that can help your teeth and gums to remain healthy for a lifetime. Dr. Lee Plunkett and Dr. Janice Chaw prefer to see patients twice a year for a routine teeth cleaning and dental exam because this is the best way to prevent cavities and gum disease. If you have not been to the dentist in a while and are concerned that going may be uncomfortable, don’t be. We are a Dunwoody, GA gentle dentistry office and can help to keep you comfortable during your appointment.
Here are some of the routine dental procedures that we perform on a regular basis:
- Teeth Cleanings. If you want to prevent cavities, you need to keep your teeth clean. Daily brushing and flossing are an important part of keeping your teeth and gums healthy. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to reach all of the areas in your mouth by yourself. This is why you need to visit the dentist for a professional teeth cleaning twice a year. We can remove the plaque that has formed on and in between your teeth along with at your gum line. This is not just important for preventing cavities, it also prevents gum disease. This is because gum disease is typically caused by plaque becoming trapped under your gums. To schedule your appointment call (770) 325-0626. Our Team is gentle and we are confident that you will have a pleasant experience.
- Deep Cleanings. Gum disease creates the need for a deep cleaning. During this procedure we will remove the plaque and tartar that has built up underneath the gums. Once done, your gums will begin to feel better.
- Fluoride Treatments. In addition to keeping your teeth clean, we can also strengthen them. When you eat and brush your teeth, you could be gently stripping away your enamel. Foods that are acidic and drinks like soda have a low pH level and can actually dissolve your dentin. Cola products, for example, have a pH level closer to battery acid than they do to water. This means that your teeth can gradually become weaker and more susceptible to decay and even damage. To combat this, you need to strengthen them. A fluoride treatment is one way to do so. We can apply fluoride to teeth in a matter of minutes. There is no irritation and this mineral will strengthen teeth enough to reduce the risk of cavities by 30 percent. If you live in Dunwoody, GA we encourage you to schedule an appointment for your fluoride treatment today.
- Dental Sealant. One of our routine dental procedures is applying dental sealant. This is a clear, plastic-like material that is gently brushed onto the teeth. At Plunkett & Chaw Dental, we recommend sealant for people that have deep ridges on the chewing surfaces of their teeth. Some people are born with teeth like this while others develop deeper ridges over time. The challenge is that deep ridges are prone to having food become trapped in them and they are difficult to clean. As a result, plaque can form and the acid it secretes can cause decay. The best way to combat this is to seal the ridges so that nothing can become trapped there. We can do so in only a couple of minutes per tooth. This makes the procedure quick, easy, affordable, and an excellent way to reduce the risk of developing cavities.
- Teeth Whitening. This is an incredibly popular dental procedure for our 30338 patients because it provides a fast and affordable way to improve the appearance of teeth. It is perfectly natural for teeth to become dull, yellow or stained with age. If you smoke, drink a lot of red wine, coffee or tea, your teeth can become yellow much faster. As a result, we regularly whiten teeth for people in their early twenties on up. The procedure works because the whitening solution is placed on the teeth and when it is, it penetrates the enamel and starts the process of oxidization. This is where the molecules inside of the teeth change to reflect less light, appear colorless and give your teeth a bright white appearance. If you have an important event coming up, call 770-325-0626 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Lee Plunkett and Dr. Janice Chaw and discuss this procedure in further detail.
- Dental Bonding. When it comes to routine dental procedures, dental bonding is one of the most widely used solutions for improving the appearance of teeth and restoring damaged ones. At Plunkett & Chaw Dental, we can use bonding material to restore a tooth that has been cracked or chipped in an accident. We can also use it to close gaps in between teeth, change the shape of teeth, cover dark stains, and make them appear better in general. As an added benefit, we can complete the bonding procedure in one visit to our 30338 dental office. After selecting the right shade, we prepare the tooth by roughening it up slightly and then place the bonding material on top of it. We then shape it into place and harden it. By the time you are ready to leave, you will have a fully restored and naturally beautiful tooth.
- Dental Crowns. If you have suffered extensive damage to one of your teeth or are missing a large amount of enamel due to decay or an infection, you may need dental crowns. This is a more extensive dental restoration because a crown is a cap that surrounds your tooth entirely. It can be made of a tooth-colored resin or porcelain so that it appears perfectly natural. This makes it possible to use crowns on either a front tooth or a back molar. Out of all of our routine dental procedures, this one is typically used to restore a tooth that has been cracked or chipped and cannot be restored with a veneer or bonding due to the location of the tooth or severity of the damage.
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Dentist Dunwoody.
The other type of routine dental procedures that we perform at Plunkett & Chaw Dental are the placing of dental veneers to improve the appearance of teeth. We also replace teeth using dentures, dental bridges, and dental implants. To learn more about our solutions, call (770) 325-0626. We are conveniently located in Dunwoody, GA and are currently accepting new patients.
Helpful Related Links
- American Dental Association (ADA). Glossary of Dental Terms. 2015
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry® (AACD). Home Page. 2015
- WebMD. WebMD’s Oral Care Guide. 2015
About our business, license, and website security
- Plunkett & Chaw Dental was established in 1978
- We accept the following payment methods: American Express, Cash, Check, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa
- We serve patients from the following counties: DeKalb County
- We serve patients from the following cities: Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Chamblee, Doraville, Roswell, Atlanta, Stone Mountain, Decatur, Perimeter, Lithonia, Clarkston, Avondale Estates, Brookhaven
- Website Safety Ratings and Reputation – AVG Threat Labs. View Details
- Norton Safe Web. View Details
- Trend Micro Site Safety Center. View Details
Back to top of Routine Dental Procedures